A good design brief should answer the following questions:
- Why are we doing this project?
- What are we trying to accomplish?
- Why is this project needed?
- Why are we doing it now?
- What specific business outcomes, or results, do we expect from this design project?
- Who are we designing for (this requires a very precise and complete description of the target audience for the design project)?
- Who are the key stakeholders (eg sales, marketing, law, distribution, procurement, manufacturing, etc) in this project?
- What is the current and anticipated business environment for the results of this design project?
- What, precisely, are the phases of this design project?
- How much time must be devoted to each phase?
- How much will each phase cost?
- What is the competitive environment like?
- Who will approve the final design solution?
- What criteria will be used for this approval?
- How will the design solution be implemented?
- How will the results be measured?